Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday


Whew! We are finally up to date. I still have three more posts, but they can wait until tomorrow. Brian is sawing logs next to me and I should really turn out the light! This one will be short. Today, we had a much needed family day. We all slept in and had a late breakfast together. Then we bummed around the house. After lunch, we realized there was a birthday party we had almost forgotten about. I got the girls ready and Brian went to the PX for a last minute gift. The three of them traipsed over to Kadena, while I tackled the commissary. Note to self...never go to the commissary during payday weekend. It was crowded and shelves were bare, but I managed to get what I needed. When I arrived back at the tower, there were no grocery carts. Man!! So I made one trip upstairs with my arms full of the most perishable items. I knew I needed to improvise a cart, and since I no longer roll with the stroller set, I found the only other item in the house with wheels...the laundry sorter. I bravely rolled it into the elevator and down to my car. I loaded it up and realized I had no exit strategy. The laundry sorter is three mesh bags on a PVC frame with a net bottom and wheels. It is not designed to off road or carry heavy items. How in the world was I going to get this thing over the terrain and curb??? Luckily, there was a nice gentleman and he helped me schlep it to the lobby. He was quite amused. After all this, I set about making dinner. We had a bunch of appetizers for our meal. Then we cleaned up, got out our sleeping bags and had family movie night. We watched Nim's Island. It was very good. I told the girls that it is based on a book and I think they are both keen to find it in the library. To cap off our family night.. there was an impromptu fireworks display somewhere in the hills that our apartment overlooks! We all piled onto the balcony to watch the 15 minute show. It was a lovely way to send us off to bed. I have no idea what it was for...it was most definitely off-base. I will have to investigate. I guess there are a few advantages to living in the Ghetto Penthouse (that is what I have nicknamed our apartment).

1 comment:

Kate said...

Never in a million years I would have thought to use a laundry sorter (only us OCD people have sorters....everyone else has hampers) for a shopping cart. Leave it up to BB to come up with the unimaginable! :)