It was a rainy day in paradise. We have been mocking the rainy season lately, commenting that it really hasn't been that wet. God was listening and let us have it today. The girls and I had a cozy Sunday. We slept in a little, had breakfast, and watched the Olympics in our PJs. It is so weird because the Olympics are only an hour behind our time zone, but since we are watching AFN we are still on a one day delay. Nuts! I cheat sometimes and watch the local Japanese channels. It is a little different programming with a distinct focus on Japan, as expected. I have had a fabulous time watching Judo. It brings back college memories. There is a little trivia for you... I have a green belt in Judo. That means your grandmother might want to think twice before trying to mug me on the street. I could take her.
The girls have been glued to the swimming and gymnastics coverage. They think Michael Phelps is the greatest thing since Pop Tarts. They love him! We also like the soccer. I am currently watching the men's USA vs Netherlands. I am amazed by these athletes. Have you seen the size of that field?? Eat it basketball players. Soccer players run constantly (no downs or time outs), smack into each other at high speed without padding, and play for like 90 minutes! My sister-in-law, Abbie, is a soccer player and coached elite girls soccer so I have nothing but respect for the sport. However, I just witnessed something that struck me as hilarious. I just watched two guys run into each other going for the ball. One of them stepped on the other player's foot. The "injured" player collapses with Oscar worthy drama, writhing on the field. The other guy protests to the ref about getting a yellow card. The trainer comes out, hands the injured guy a water bottle, ruffles his hair, and pulls him up to his feet. The yellow card guy sulks. I thought to myself...I have seen this exact same scenario on the playground. Seriously! I have pulled recess duty many times...the people are just shorter and instead of a water bottle, a baggie of ice fixes everything.
We weren't couch potatoes all day. We did get ready and venture out. The girls and I went over to Dionna and Alex's new house to help them unpack. The girls unpacked DVDs and played nicely. I helped Dionna with the kitchen. It was nice to have some fellowship on a rainy day.
Man, I had a small post planned and then I just started typing about a totally different subject. I will have to do the short post next.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment