Saturday, August 9, 2008

Headline: Venus and Mars Collide

It's Saturday AM! The girls and I are watching the Opening Ceremonies on AFN. Wow! I needed a little zen this morning. We have already been to Naha and back. Brian had to go to the airport as he is on his way to Denver for a week long conference. We decided I would drive instead of having him take a taxi. The taxi ride would have been reimbursed, but we thought it would be a good opportunity to scout out the airport route.

I am going to digress a little here to fill out my story. I am a pretty easy going person in general. In general does not include driving. I am high maintenance behind the wheel. There, I said it and I own it. I don't like driving unless it is out in the middle of nowhere without pesky things like other drivers, traffic signals/signs, and speed limits. I don't do cities at all. I get very anxious when there are too many variables. I mean anxious like the classic long tailed cat at a rocking chair convention. This is because I require the medium of water to exhibit any hint of coordination. On land, I am literally a fish out of water and what comes naturally to most people takes a lot of mental effort on my part. I am twitchy and I need to be handled with kid gloves...soothed...reassured. There are very few men in my life that understand this concept. My cousin does, but he's 3000+ miles away, already married to my BFF, and...well..my cousin so that makes domestic partnership illegal and icky. I have made my choice in spouses and I am sticking to it, but that doesn't mean it is always skittles, rainbows, and puppies. Today, we were one of "those couples"...yelling, hand gestures, angry body language...it was not pretty. I have to admit I am looking forward to a little space this week (I bet Brian is sitting in the airport saying, "Amen to that!"). We have been joined at the hip since leaving the States. Am I abnormal in needing my space and independence? I am all for monogamy, but not for never spending a night apart. I would kill him eventually. Yes, I watch A&E, and this will probably end up in the court transcripts. So, for the record, I am being facetious. I don't really mean I would kill him..on purpose.

Anyway, I am rambling. Your thoughts on this subject?

2 comments:

Aunt Zanne said...

As the BFF married to your cousin, I concur regarding the need to spend time apart. We start getting snarky with each other and then he goes to the farm for the weekend and we are so much more healthy as a couple when he comes back. It is normal to need a break! Loved talking to you on the phone today! I am so thankful I am able to talk to you in Japan! Thanks for listening!

Kate said...

BB,
There is no need to feel bad for spending time apart. Everyone needs it, for example, I spent the other night in one of our guest rooms....long story. Boys can be dumb and insenstive; I guess that is a fact we have to live with. Do I love my husband? Yes. Do I always love the things he says or does? Sometimes and at other times, I want to kill him (not literally of course). :)
Kate