Sunday, August 31, 2008

Maeda Flats













There is so much happening, that if I take a day off from blogging...

it piles up, so back to Thursday. Dionna and I had the morning slated for snorkeling. It was a lovely morning, but when we arrived at Maeda Point, the entry point was closed off due to strong swells. We weren't about to let the morning slip through our fingers, so we hiked until we found Maeda Flats. We followed some locals through the sugar cane fields and an overgrown path (pictured), and it opened up to a secluded beach straight out of a movie...Maeda Flats! There were quite a few snorkelers there, but it was right at low tide and we decided we wanted to walk out on the reef to explore all the tide pools. This would be a fantastic place to snorkel at high tide. We put on our booties and gloves because of the coral and urchins. Check out Dionna and I channeling Captain Morgan. We have decided that safety trumps fashion every time. Anyway enjoy the pictures. Kate/Paula: I took some tide pool pictures in addition to these that may come in handy for the "Camouflage" unit. Remind me to send them in an email if I forget!
After our reef walk, we had lunch at a cafe overlooking the sea. We had an appetizer pizza (on the cracker-like crust) and a maple latte! We still made it back in time to greet the girls after school.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Honey... the pictures are gorgeous. They look like something off of a post card. You need to follow the locals more often.

ugadawgs said...

Love the pictures, You should get into photography with all the scenery you have there.

BB said...

I know, I would love to carry a professional around with me everywhere! I guess I will have to pursue the hobby, there is so much you can do with a camera.