Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Luxuries

I have a new appreciation for fruit. Today at the commissary we spied watermelon in the produce section. We were excited until we calculated the price. It was $1.52 a pound. Kenzie weighed a standard looking melon and discovered it was 14 pounds. We did some math and realized that we would have to spend $21.28 for the pleasure of having the melon on our kitchen table. Yikes! Watermelon is a very popular gift in Japan. They even have exotic box shaped melons and black watermelons. I believe one recently sold for an outrageous price and made the news. I'm going to Google it and get back to you later. Unwilling to plunk down a Jackson on watermelon, we opted to splurge on apples (4 Fiji apples for $8) because the girls really wanted to do another pie. Needless to say, we eat a lot of canned and dried fruit. I miss fresh, affordable produce. It will be one of the things we seek out when we are back in the States. Start planning the welcome home BBQ menu now!

7 comments:

ugadawgs said...

I know how you feel. The fruits and veggies are killing me. I love fresh fruits and veggies, but they are so expensive. Even banans, that were 57 cents a pound in the states are $2.something here. Enjoy your apple pie.

ugadawgs said...

oh yea, Hunter wanted me to tell you hi.

BB said...

Hi Hunter! I miss your smiling face in the classroom.

Världen är liten… said...

Wow, that's horrible! Somehow you think that there's going to be an abundance of fruit over there since Okinawa is a tropical island.

BB said...

Not a cheap mango in sight! There are some off base veggie markets where you can get reasonable and fresh veg, but fruit seems to be elusive.

Världen är liten… said...

Maybe you need to grow your own stuff, I heard you Oregonians are good at that....=o)

BB said...

Ya Man :)! Oregonians love the organic stuff..ha ha. My state is so weird!!