I know several of you are wondering why I hardly ever mention Brian in my blog. It is not because I dislike the guy (Although ask me on a day when I am scrubbing yet another black scuff mark off the floor and you may get a different answer!), but because I am trying to practice good OPSEC. Blogging is very public in nature. I have tried to keep it as private as possible by not having it listed, not allowing Google to crawl it, and not letting anonymous comments be posted. However, I am no web genius and there may be more eyes viewing it than I anticipated. Also, some of the people I know are just plain weird in nature (Ha Ha...just kidding... you know who you are). OPSEC stands for Operational Security. I been paying attention to the briefings and AFN commercials that talk about how little bits of information can be pieced together to reveal the big picture. So, I try to leave Brian and his work out of the picture and just concentrate on what is going on at home. Yes, he is a big part of my life and I leave him out because he is a hardworker and I love him.
I just noticed I used yet another acronym, AFN. For those of you that are unfamiliar, allow me to explain. AFN stands for Armed Forces Network. It is the network of TV stations from which we receive our stateside programming. It is great to get a little home comfort, but it does have its quirks. For instance, I can watch the Today show over here but I have to tune in at 9PM. Other shows are taped and aired during the course of the day and we are usually a week or so behind the States. You may also find an NBC show airing right after an ABC show on the same channel. Another unique feature is the commercial break or rather the lack of one. You see we don't get all the stateside commercials. Instead we basically have a local cable channel that airs during standard commercial breaks. We get to see announcements for upcoming events and services that are available then it is back to the program. However, my favorite feature is the Public Service Announcement. These air during the commercial break all the time. There is not a large catalog of them and they air frequently, so memorization is unavoidable. I think the "actors" are volunteers from the military community. Most of the spots are cringe-worthy, but there are some that reach cult status. My personal favorite is the one for the craft store on Kadena. It features two people imitating Napoleon Dynamite and his side-kick Pedro. They stand in front of the Crafty Things building and talk about how they need skills... framing skills...painting skills... sewing skills...ceramic skills.... It is actually pretty good and I get a kick out of it every time. Then again, I'm simple. There is also one lady who seems to get all the "bad" acting jobs. Remember in Friends when Joey was all excited because he was going to be featured in a big ad campaign and he ended up being the face of VD in subway posters all over NYC? Well, that seems to be the luck of this poor lady. She always pops up in the PSAs that feature things like hit-and-run and shoplifting. I feel for her. Blah, Blah, Blah...I have really rattled on and it is time to get busy with the house, my coffee is cold. Anyway, one more gem before I go... I know what Al Roker does after his national weather forecast when all the stations break for local weather updates. He jabbers with the control room about camera angles and who they are throwing to next. Interesting...no?
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment