Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Price of Things


I filled up my car today. I am thankful that I only have to do that about once a month. Our gas prices are running around $3.90/gal here. I know that is keeping pace with what is going on in America. I am not going to complain though... check out the price of gas off base. They are currently paying 160 yen/liter. Look out, I'm going to do some math here. So there are 3.78 liters in a gallon. That means they are paying 605 yen/gallon for gas. Right now we have a very good exchange rate of 107 yen to $1. So, 605 yen= $5.62. That's right, they are paying nearly $1.72 more per gallon than we are. Wow. I guess we need to get smaller cars and complain less. That is what the Japanese do.
Also shocking is the price of groceries over here. For example, I found out that I can only buy milk by the half gallon. That half-gallon of milk costs $2.25 (that equates to about $4.50 per gallon)! No wonder there is COLA here. For all you non-military people, that does not mean I am giving the kids soda rather than milk. COLA stands for cost-of-living allowance. It means that you get slightly more in your paycheck if you live in an expensive area than someone with the same rank who lives in a less expensive area. Think San Fransisco, CA vs. middle of nowhere, Idaho.
In case you are wondering how I get the groceries that I spend half of Brian's paycheck on up to our apartment... I discovered that there are a collection of carts in the first floor stairwell that you can use. Handy!

1 comment:

Världen är liten… said...

In Sweden the price of gas is also climbing, it's always been higher than in the US, but right now they have to pay about the equal of $6.62/gallon! It should actually be more expensive, but the calculation turns out like that since the dollar is so weak against the Swedish currency at the moment.