Monday, June 2, 2008

Funny Potties

On our travels this weekend we discovered that many Japanese toilets are built into the floor. Actually, Emily discovered it first. She went in and reemerged rather quickly. In a tiny voice she said, "Mommy, the potty is funny." So now we call them funny potties. Here is how you use them. Step one, and this is vital, don't panic. Step two, face the flushing handle. Step three, squat without touching any porcelain and proceed. Apparently, it is a real plus if you maintain strong hamstrings and a superb sense of balance. I have yet to try these out, but we want to truly experience the culture so I promise I will give it a go someday. I am a little worried because similar situations while camping have not worked out so well for me.
The girls are currently at school and I just got off the phone with TMO. They currently have no record of our household goods. They are contacting the original carrier to see if they can figure out where they are in the shipping process. Sounds promising. In the meantime, I am going wash some more laundry and then do lunges around the apartment. I have to work on my hamstrings.

5 comments:

Kate said...

First: The santiary conditions of that bathroom are at least questionable.
Second: I would highly suggest wearing skirts to use the "funny potty." That would probably work best.

Good luck with the funny potties! :)

BB said...

I now religiously carry hand sanitizer in my purse. Oh, I also picked up that Tide Pen. I makes me think of you :)!

Världen är liten… said...

Interesting, I saw and tried something similar once in Turkey - not very comfortable. On the plus side, it would definitely cut down on the time my husband spends in the bathroom=o)!!

BB said...

I agree! Although, did you notice there seems to be some reading material on the wall. Strange.

Aj said...

Autumn is thoroughly confused on how you use the "funny potty"... she thinks you should wait until you get home..:) I do question how you could utilize the reading material.... must have to have thighs of steal