Monday, September 15, 2008

There He Is!



Dionna was kind enough to send me some pictures from her camera. So, now you can see Brian, Dionna, and Alex. So much fun.

This morning I went for a run. An actual run on the sidewalks of Japan. Poor Dionna was pretty much paralyzed from doing laps of lunges in Kuk Sool Won, so she wasn't available. Tiffany bowed out because she has her little one in a stroller and the sky was pretty dark this morning. I was solo. I grabbed my Ipod and hit the streets. I headed off base so I could use my headphones. I skipped the gym because they don't let you wear a hat (it is a Marine thing...the Air Force gym doesn't have this code...I can't wear a doo-rag either, but that is probably a good rule for me in general) and I am car-less this A.M. (Brian sold the Skyline and has to register his bike before he can take it to his worksite.) Anyway, it has been really rainy and the snails are out everywhere. I was walking down through a housing area on my way to the gate, checking my playlist for the run, when I accidentally kicked one that was as long as my hand. I didn't just tap it, I drop kicked the poor thing...bent it like Beckham. It made a horrible sucking sound as it left the pavement and then clattered around like a rock when it finally landed. I covered my mouth in horror and took another step. It sounded like a raw egg. I squished his buddy. Now I have snail slime on my new Saucony shoes, guilt, and bad karma. I looked around and they were everywhere! I had to tiptoe through that area. If I hadn't been fiddling with my Ipod, I might have noticed them sooner. I guess that is why they have the rule, it saves snails. The rest of the run off base did not result in any further gastropod casualties.