Yesterday, we ran our route in intervals. My legs are burning today, but I still went for another long walk with Tiffany. I think the conversation is as great as the exercise! Tomorrow, D joins us and we may...may just do the huge "San Francisco" hill with the ocean view.
During our dinner conversation, we learned a little more about what is going on in the classroom. Emily's teacher came up with a really neat idea that I may just have to borrow when I return to teaching. I thought it was brilliant and creative. She gives classroom duties an actual "real-life" job title. The kids get to rotate through the list on a daily basis. Here are some of the jobs that I was able to learn about, just from Emily's memory:
Mayor: Line Leader
Public Relations: 2nd in line, opens doors and greets/helps people when they come into the classroom
Mail Carrier: takes stuff to other teachers/office, passes out papers, does lunch count
Treasurer: Gives out prizes from treasure chest for those who have earned enough classroom money.
Environmental Control: monitors cleanliness of classroom, cleans up messes
Security Guard: makes sure no one talks in line or when teacher steps out, is at the back of the line
Fire/Rescue: also in the back of the line, makes sure room is clear for fire drills, takes people to the nurse's office
Technology support: Turns on computers in the morning
I just think it is fabulous. It reinforces the idea that school is their "job" and they are citizens of a mini-municipality. Working together is a must for everything go smoothly, just like real life. I have to get a full list of job titles and duties from her when I talk to her next. Like I said before, what I have above is just what Emily remembered and she is not always big on details. I think that is another bonus to the system. It really sticks in their minds! You could have a lot of fun with this idea and it is easily adaptable to any classroom. Way to go Mrs. Cavanagh.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is way cool...I am loving the school "motto" here. H.O.P.E Have Only Positive Expectations. I want to remember all this stuff once i get done with school....and decide what I want to do when I grow up! : )
Post a Comment