Friday, September 5, 2008

The Changeling Reappears

What a morning! Kenzie is an emotional wreck. What started as a simple request by mom this morning ended up with a screaming, blubbering, child-shaped puddle on my floor. Seriously, is 10 the new 14?? Unfortunately, her antics required me to take away my permission for her to join the "safety-patrol" meeting after school, due to the fact that she was not displaying the most mature decision making skills. If you ask me this is a must for a person who wants to do safety patrol. I don't know if she got my message because she was too busy blubbering, begging, and screaming over my explanation. I guess I will have to wait until she calms down to have a discussion. I wish I could say that I stayed perfectly calm the whole time...nope. I spanked her rear end, but not with out a whole bunch of twisting and evading on her part. Not my proudest or most effective moment. Needless to say, the walk to school was interesting. She stalked out the opposite door of our tower and hid around the corner. I told her that Emily and I were walking to school, she had 15 minutes before the bell rang. If she wasn't in class by then it was an unexcused absence and I would pick her up at the MPs office if she chose to wander around base. She told me she hated me and then stomped along well behind Emily and I. Boy was I ready for my run this morning..talk about stress. I have to get over being embarrassed, or worrying about what other people think, because my children are going to require I gain this skill. It will be interesting to see what happens after school. I have to pre-plan:

Situation A: She comes home without incident.

Situation B: She comes home, but mounts a public protest. I have to steel myself and remember just who the behavior is really embarrassing.

Situation C: She attends the meeting in the gym without my permission. I plan on marching right in there and letting the person in charge know that McKenzie has lost the privilege to do this duty. Hopefully she exits gracefully. I will give her the option of leaving on her own will, or I will be happy to hold her hand. I am sure this will result in resistance. Again, I have to remind myself that she is in front of her peers and while I despise negative public attention, it is really her behavior and it reflects on her, not me. So much easier said than done!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Världen är liten… said...

Wow, it's so hard for me to imagining sweet McKenzie displaying this kind of behavior! I'm sending you a bundle of energy, patience and lots of love so you can solve this. I guess the only comfort is that if she goes through this now at 10 she wont at 14, hopefully...

BB said...

Thanks! I feel the love already :). P.S. School pickup went flawlessly. Go Mommies!!