Friday, September 19, 2008

Japanese Graffiti




The girls have been learning a lot in their Japanese culture and Japanese language classes. These classes are taught by native Japanese teachers, Mrs. Tasaki (language) and Mr. Matsukawa (culture). (Didn't you secretly want one of them to be Mr. Miyagi??? I did..hee hee.) We met both of them at open house and they are fantastic! Currently the girls' favorite activity is writing their name in Japanese (Kanji) characters. I see it on scraps of paper everywhere. I thought the "graffiti" I found was cute. Both girls will be learning the Japanese alphabet and McKenzie will be learning the sounds of the characters as well. They will get to write and hopefully read a little Japanese. In culture class, they will be learning about: Tsukimi (Moon viewing), Sumo, Tako (Kites), Tops (Koma), Origami, the Okinawan Map, Field Day (Giant Tug-of-War), Japanese Schools, Eisa Dancing, Hinamsturi (Doll Festival), Hanami (Cherry Blossom Viewing), Oshogatsu (The New Year), and Kodomo no hi (Children's Day). This is a huge benefit of being overseas. This is an invaluable educational opportunity they could not pursue if we were back in the States. It is a chance to see the world through another culture's eyes...to build a bridge with another heritage and gain empathy for other world citizens. We are such a global society now. I think that if more Americans ventured outside our country we would all be better off. Matt Damon said it best when he said, "I think many of our problems as a country would be solved if people had thick passports."
Kenzie..excuse me, McKenzie is at a sleepover tonight. Emily and I made banana bars. Later, Brian, Emily and I are going to play Clue by candlelight with my "Electrifying Thunderstorms" CD playing in the background. Should be fun!!!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Wow... what an amazing opportunity for the girls. Maybe someday Jay and I will actually have passports so that we are not naive Americans.

BB said...

I hardly think you are!

BB said...

You have left your hometown and transversed (sp?) the USA!

BB said...

I don't think that is a word, but you get my point. I have been studying too much math lately :).

Kate said...

Yeah... but the only big traveling I have ever done is Canada and Mexico... Growing up we traveled every summer.