Things on the TV front are looking up. We have cable and now get to see American commercials (sob..okay that part isn't always great). When we first got it, we were on a two week DVD delay. That means we were watching Father's Day commercials around the 4th of July. It was charming. Just within the last few weeks the system has upgraded to a 1 day delay, so we are about as close as we are going to get to live US programming. It makes us feel a little closer to home.
Now we have to discuss the radio. We have one station, 89.1 The Wave. This one station has to please all different American tastes. Here is a sample lineup that I heard this morning:
Bon Jovi (Rock)
Leona Lewis (Pop)
Brad Paisely (Country)
One Republic (Top 100)
Roxette (that's the 80s people!)
Some RB/Rap Song (Don't know who it was..it all sounds the same to me..insert any song about thugs, clubs, or women and that was the song/artist...this is the only genre I can't stomach)
Theory of a Deadman (Alternative...Yay!!)
Random...no? Occasionally, there will be a theme like Saturday Night Flashback or America's Top 100 countdown, but for the most part it is a smattering. I don't mind. I also like it because they have military people who work in Services that DJ (Ala Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam!) and they are amusing. Also the station is honest. When the station breaks to identify itself, although I am not sure why this is necessary, they say:
"Wave 89.1 Your alternative to silence." or "Wave 89.1 Just like back home..minus all the other stations"
I like that. No sugarcoating. The nice thing about having only one station is that if you really can't stand the music at the time, it is easy to find a blank channel for your ITrip. Then you can put your IPod on shuffle and be your own DJ.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So... you know who your DJs sound like they personify??? One of our carnival volunteers.... now I can't think of his name... (but the one we sent to the cookie walk who originally wanted to go to our non-existing dunking booth).
I know you remember who he is. :)
Aww Roxette, that brings back memories - I have actually seen them live=o)! I even have their autographs stashed away somewhere - jealous?! Anyhooo you know that their from the great country of Sweden right=o)?
Oh Yeah!!! I can't think of his name either, but he would have been perfect for the DJ job...he knew how to MC an event :)! Memories....
P: I didn't know that Roxette was Swedish. I will add them to my list of favorite Swedish exports:
ABBA
Ace of Base
Absolut
You!
It is fun to have international friends.
Post a Comment