A little slice of island life from a military spouse's perspective.
Friday, July 11, 2008
Urban Garden
I went with my friend Rebecca to Makeman's, which is basically the Home Depot of Okinawa. Brian and I decided that we needed a little life in the apartment, so we created a tiny urban jungle. The girls helped me plant everything. I think it turned out nicely. I am not sure what any of the plants are, except the bamboo. I picked them because they were pretty and looked hardy. I have no idea what variety they are or how to care for them because absolutely everything except the price tag was in Japanese. Whenever I can't read basic things in Japanese it makes me think about people who are illiterate in the United States. I know it is hard to imagine, but there are individuals to whom English is as foreign as Japanese is to me and they are supposed to be native speakers. I couldn't imagine having to live that way...how humbling. It has really gotten me to thinking about education and my career. I know that I was going to take a break here in Japan, but I am really rethinking it. Over here I have the opportunity for Spousal Tutition Assistance, basically a partial grant for overseas spouses. I would really be a fool to not pursue my Masters while here and have it partially paid for. Do I go for it?? How do I select the right program?? I need to go see DODDs and check on my certification. There are different programs depending on if you are certified. I need to see if my certification is valid outside Idaho. If not there is a Master's program that provides certification through the University of Phoenix, but I am very hesitant about that "university". I think it would be the equivalent of getting your degree from ITT Tech. Does anyone have any input about either University of Phoenix or another program? I am really leaning toward secondary certification. I think I would like to teach Biology. I know older students have a whole other set of challenges, but it would be refreshing to specialize in a subject and not have to solve conflicts involving crayons.
Girl I would never sway someone away from furthering their education. And if there is financial help to do it, then definately go for it!! I think you would make an EXCELLENT biology teacher, You love science and I see you point of view about wantng to do just one subject. I know that when we get to Alaska I am also heading back to school. I just have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.. :o) I suggest going and talking to those who can help you figure out your options, and then go for it!!
I think you should take advantage of the spouse help. I know I am when I get to Guam. I think Brain Doner is going to or got his Master's from University of Phoenix. Try emailing him and get his opinion. Good Luck! By the way, I LOVE reading your bloggs!
2 comments:
Girl I would never sway someone away from furthering their education. And if there is financial help to do it, then definately go for it!! I think you would make an EXCELLENT biology teacher, You love science and I see you point of view about wantng to do just one subject. I know that when we get to Alaska I am also heading back to school. I just have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.. :o) I suggest going and talking to those who can help you figure out your options, and then go for it!!
I think you should take advantage of the spouse help. I know I am when I get to Guam. I think Brain Doner is going to or got his Master's from University of Phoenix. Try emailing him and get his opinion. Good Luck!
By the way, I LOVE reading your bloggs!
Post a Comment