Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kadena Marina Revisited









Yesterday we went to the Kadena Marina with Alex and Dionna. It was even more fun than the first time because we were with good friends and it was Customer Appreciation Day. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see familiar faces. When you move somewhere new, you have to start at ground zero. It is tough to be at the stage where you have to make small talk and exchange pleasantries with strangers, hoping to make that friendship connection. It was absolutely fabulous to be around people who you can pick up with where you left off. You know, just dive right back into non-stop fun and comfortable conversation....people with whom you have mutual references. I think I have missed that the most. Alex and Dionna are wonderful. I look forward to exploring the island with them for the next 3 years. Hopefully, they won't get sick of us and consider us "stage 5 clingers"! Ha-Ha!!

Anyway, Customer Appreciation Day was great. When we arrived there was an Eisa performance going on and we stopped to watch. I have to learn more about this art form! It was spectacular. All I know is that it is a rhythmic drumming dance that is part of the Okinawan Prefecture culture. It looked like a lot of fun and was pleasing to the eye and ear. I know there is a festival that celebrates the dancing, but I need to research to find when and where it occurs. It will be something to see for sure. The girls were most impressed by the dancing Shisa. He even chased his tail and rolled over! At the end of the performance, the dancers encouraged the crowd to get involved. Before I knew it, Kenzie was front and center trying out a drum. Way to go, kiddo. It looks like all ages and nationalities were a part of the group. It may be something to research as an activity.

We ate a buffet lunch at the Marina's restaurant. Then Alex and Dionna hit the beach for their first dip in the East China Sea, while our clan wandered over to the Marina's Dive Shop to get some serious snorkeling gear. They were having a 20% sale and an additional 10% for club members. We couldn't pass that one up. So Brian and I scored some masks with purge valves, snorkels with a floating doohicky in them that automatically closes off the snorkel when you submerge, and fins. So exciting! My fins were a steal. They were already 25% off (fins are probably the only thing I fit an extra-small in) and when you added in the additional discounts they were a total of 55% off. Wowzer!

We all met up again to go on a free boat ride out into the East China Sea. We have never been out on the sea, so it was a great experience. The girls sat up front and squealed like excited puppies.

Then the girls went and jumped on the bungee trampolines. They are basically giant versions of the jumper swings our parents used to hang in a doorway and put us in when we were babies. Alex thought they would be a great addition to a backyard. I agree. Strap the kids in and let them bounce away energy until dinner time, just like the younger years.

Finally, because the kids needed their water fix, we decided to hit the beach again. Unfortunately, Alex got stung by a jellyfish. Holy moley! That was the most bizarre and painful looking thing I have seen in awhile. He was very brave and stoic about it. Brian, helpful as always, offered to pee on him. Good thing Alex has a great sense of humor. He got some ammonia (vinegar?) sprayed on his wrist to get the tentacles off and neutralize the stingers. It was still very painful and welts were popping up. So we packed up and went to the BX in search of Benedryl. Can you believe that after all of that, he and Dionna were still up for going out to dinner? This was Day 2 for them, so jet lag is still a factor. What troopers. We went out to our favorite place, the Tuna House and all had a great evening. Emily caused a little bit of a good natured stir by accidentally exiting the restaurant in the bathroom slippers. A little Japanese girl about her age helped her politely remedy the faux pas.

No comments: