Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Good Day

We had a good day today. We are on a break from swimming lessons this week, so our island pace is even more laid back than usual. Eventually, we went to the library where the girls turned in their reading logs for small prizes as part of the summer reading program. Then we wandered over to Kadena where we checked the mail and discovered a package from home. The O'Learys sent us my yearbook from BPS, some cuter-than-cute notes and cards from my students (and Kate), and some jewelery I had ordered. It was like Christmas..fantastic!!! I got all nostalgic for my Mountain Homies. After going through the package while the car was still parked in the post office parking lot, our little crazy train made its way to the DODDS office to check out my certification. As I figured, if I would have taught one more year in Idaho and received my Standard Idaho Certification then reciprocity wouldn't have been a problem at all. However, since I was still operating on an interim credential it was a no go. No problem, I really want to get my Masters anyway. The timing is perfect. I will get certified and knock out my Masters at the same time. Tomorrow, I am dragging the girls to the Education Office to speak with some college counselors. The deadline for Spousal Tuition Assistance is next week, so I am going to take the plunge.

On the way home I stopped to make our car payment. It is old fashioned, you have to make the payment in person and in cash. However, it is only for a year (also the length of the warranty on the vehicle...hmm..) and totally interest-free, so I can't complain at all. I'll just enjoy the novelty of it all. While we were there I ran into our salesman and realized that he looks exactly like Rob Schneider (sp?). His name is Jerry, but I will probably inadvertently call him Rob from now on and keep waiting for him to be funny. When I get stuff in my head a certain way it is hard to change it. Oh, I have to blog about more car stuff tomorrow... it is getting late and I am digressing.

We got home just a bit before Brian, he got out early today. Emily helped me make meatloaf for dinner...it was devoured at meal time. That has never happened. I guess it really does taste different when you make it. Kenzie helped me bake the lovely apple pie shown above. I couldn't believe how well it turned out. Probably the best Bartles (this household of Bartles) homemade apple pie ever! She was really proud. I was impressed that the filling set up so well. I hate it when you slave over a pie, cut into it; then have to serve a sad collapsed crust and ladle the filling out of pie plate because it is all soupy. This one was perfect. I told Kenzie it was all her "skills".

I should go to bed...it's 10:45PM, but I am going to blog a little about my other evening project. The kids were in bed reading, Brian was studying, and I decided to go all seventh grade and make the modern equivalent of the mixed tape....the Playlist. I created a playlist just for summer music. I got some online and imported some from CDs. Here is what I have come up with so far. See if you can help me make it more impressive:

An American Dream-Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
When the Sun Goes Down-Kenny Chesney
Margaritaville-Jimmy Buffett
Its 5 o'Clock Somewhere-Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett
I Can See Clearly Now- Johnny Nash
Kokomo-Beach Boys
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes- Jimmy Buffett
Walking on Sunshine- Katrina and the Waves
Summer Nights- John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
In the Summertime- Mungo Jerry
Don't Worry Be Happy- Bobby McFerrin
Boys of Summer- Don Henley
Islands in the Stream- Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
Fishin' in the Dark-Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Song of the South- Alabama
Surfer Girl- Beach Boys
Volcano-Jimmy Buffett

It was all fun and not all kid friendly, but they will be in the waves while I am listening to this on my IPod, chillin in the shade of a beach umbrella. Hmmmm..... maybe I can work it into the schedule this week.

10 comments:

Kate said...

I'm glad you got your package. I have been procrasting with a capital P. It has been sitting in the box since I got out of school. We've been incredibly busy but, that is not excuse. I need to keep better correspondance. I hope the letters and yearbook didn't make you cry.. :(

Världen är liten… said...

Not to shabby, but you definitely have to put some Bob Marly in there like " The sun is shining" or " Don't worry about a thing". Oh and how about Cruel Summer with Bananarama and Summer of 69 with Bryan Adams!

Kari said...

congrats on the pie. I too hate pie soup. Try Irish Brown Bread with the girls...very kiddo friendly and yummy! somewhere on my blog is a link...other wise I'm sure just regular googling will work too!!

BB said...

Hey! Kate..no worries. I could co-chair the procrastination committee (sp?) with you. It was just fabulous to get it, timing is a non-issue. BTW, I didn't cry but that is probably just because it was too bloomin hot to lose any liquid. P..good suggestions. How could I forget Mr. Marley. I will have to include them all on my tunes. Thanks for trying to keep me cool :). K..recipes are always good. The girls have a Nintendo game called Cooking Mama and as we are cooking I frequently hear, "That is just how Cooking Mama does it!" Sometimes they even come up with new/better techniques for something! Who says video games can't be educational. I'm impressed.

Kate said...

Wow... no crying... I am impressed. : )

BB said...

You should be :) It is a freakin miracle. You and McCarrel still trying to make me cry? What is the pool up to now?

Kate said...

No we are not.. but I just expected it from you. I am taking Sarah out to school today to show her the room and help her move some boxes in. It'll be sad that it isn't your room next year. I am nervous about all the changes this year has in store for us..... I'll keep you posted.

BB said...

Oh it makes me sad too :(. I miss being your neighbor. Sometimes I just want to run next door and share something with you. I am glad that Sarah will be there though. She will take good care of it and be a good neighbor too. BTW, if you find a set of watercolor pencils (middle teacher desk drawer maybe??) let me know. I think I may have left them behind. I will be happy to pay for postage :). I hope everything is organized well for her and she finds "treasures" she can use!

Kate said...

Watercolor pencils... I'll keep my eye out. We also found the teddy bear that Savery gave us... would you like that too????

BB said...

Hopefully it will bring a kid some comfort. I will just donate that little token to the cause :).