Today was just a day of running hither and yawn to collect signatures and file paperwork. I did get to explore the hospital the kids and I will be going to. I am very impressed. We will be going to a Navy hospital. They are ship shape, let me tell you! So, we are Air Force, living with the Marines, and getting health care from the Navy. That is integrated services right there. I have initially found that the Air Force and Navy are more friendly. People in these services and on the bases seem to smile more and give help more readily. The impression I get is that they are a happier lot. The Marines seem to be more guarded and less apt to volunteer help. I don't get nods, smiles, and hellos here on the Camp like I do when I am wandering around the Base or the Hospital. Now, these are just first impressions. I hope with time I will crack the tough Marine exterior and see what it is like from the inside. I have always relied on humor to accomplish this, but something tells me I may have to adjust that strategy a little.
I have also spent today finding places for our unaccompanied goods. That is the first shipment we sent over. It is stuff you want to have before the bulk of your household goods arrive. I sent the standard stuff...linens, pots& pans, small TV, etc. Stateside, my plan was to send the bare minimum because it would be less to have to deal with before all of our furniture arrived. Now, I am rethinking that decision. So, those of you coming over next take heed. Here are some things that I left out and wish I had included:
1. Trash cans.. Nothing says temporary like a garbage bag on the floor. It annoys me! I don't want to go buy more because I have some coming, but it irks me to have to look at a bag of trash sitting on the ground. It is a little of Kate's OCD that has rubbed off on me I guess!
2. DVDs. Yes, there are periods of boredom and you need a few good DVDs.
3. Favorite recipes, pie plates, vases. I sent the basics for the kitchen, but it would have been nice to have some "exotic" kitchenware. As I mentioned before, there are periods of downtime. I have been used to working at a very hectic pace, and when that went away I got the urge to do domestic stuff...like cook and arrange flowers. However, this Martha Stewart Tic is thwarted by the lack of accessories. Bummer.
4.Pictures. I recommend this especially if you are staying in government quarters. We all know that Uncle Sam does not choose paint colors like "Paprika" or "Sunrise". They wisely keep things neutral. It can be brain numbingly bland and it would be nice to have a few framed pictures to stick on the circa 1980 end table you have until your things come in!
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'll keep those notes in mind IF we ever leave. (Which is most likely never!!!)
I always admire your ability to simplify...compared to my knack to pack rat and repack rat!
You are too funny! I hope I will remember your hints as we get closer!
Karee
Hi Karee! I hope you are all having a great summer. It is well deserved.
Post a Comment