Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Apartment Living is the Life for Me

So we are going to be living in an apartment. We are going to be living on a Marine base. It gets better, we are going to be living on the eighth floor of a nine floor apartment building on a Marine base. Actually, it is going to be fine. I am determined to stay positive, so here is a list of things that will be great about living in the apartment.

1. It is spacious in island terms. We are going to have 1200+square feet to work with.
2. It is completely American, meaning all the plugs are American and the appliances too! Also, I have a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. Yay!
3. I have a great view and a balcony!
4. No yardwork. Yes, yes, yes! I get a pretty park around me that I can use and don't have to maintain at all.
5. Instant gym. Just take the stairs on a regular basis and I predict a good 10lb weight loss in the near future.
6. Halloween is going to be a snap. The kids don't have to go all bundled up as the Abominable Snowman for the 7th year in a row. They can wear the sleeveless fairy costume and everyone is happy. As a bonus, by the time we get to the ground floor the candy buckets are filled. I can have a few pieces of candy and hit my instant gym.
7. It will force me to step outside my Air Force bubble and get to know another branch of the service.

I am sure that I will think of more reasons I am lucky to live where I live, but those are just a few to get me in the right frame of mind.

Today was a whole day of information and briefings. The girls were stars by the way. They brought along their little backpacks of books, crayons, coloring books, games, etc. I didn't hear a peep out of them. They were so well behaved and we were really proud. They earned a big ice cream cone. I also met the commander's wife today. I think we will get along very well.

Tomorrow's mission: car shopping. I also seriously need to take some pictures. I am concentrating so hard on driving and navigating, I neglect to pull out my camera. Darn! We get the keys to our house on Friday, so hopefully we will be more settled then. I will chillax and start posting some photos.

4 comments:

Världen är liten… said...

The apartment sounds great, but on a Marine base???? Are we talking other families in the apartment building or singles or what? Did you guys have a choice or did they assign it to you?

BB said...

Hey P! So they gave us two choices right away. One was on Kadena and it was a duplex. However, it was horrible! Think Desert Vista, but worse. It was also the size of a postage stamp. The one on the Marine base is all families and way better, so we chose that. The base, I mean Camp, has a lot of stuff on it too, so that will be okay. It just means B has a commute. Nothing is far apart, just a lot of traffic to get through.

Världen är liten… said...

Ok, good it doesn't sound too bad then. I was just a little bit worried due to the conversations we've had about the Marines in Okinawa! We want only the best for "our" Bartles=o)

Aunt Zanne said...

You are going to be so fit going up and down those stairs. I bet you will even have to carry some children up those stairs! Miss you!