This week has been crazy and I know the weeks are only going to get harder. This week I started my Masters class. My Wednesday evenings won't be free for the next two years. This first class is three weeks long and in those three meetings the following is due:
A three page individual paper (this was due on the first night of class!!)
A 7-8 page individual paper
A 7-8 page team paper
Two 15 minute team presentations
One 5 minute individual presentation
Weekly readings
Weekly drill assignments (ie practicing APA, etc.)
This is all on top of continuing to work on my progression requirements (ie Praxis and classroom observation hours). Going back to school will be worth it, but I can tell free time is going to be at a premium. I am tired just thinking about it. I am currently blogging because I am the master of productive procrastination. You know, when you avoid doing what you need to do, but you do get something done. It is still procrastination but it takes the edge off the guilt.
There are six of us in the cohort. We do team projects in groups of three. Of course we are all non-traditional students so we have families and jobs on top of school. (Do you remember non-traditional students in your classes when you were an undergrad? I do. I always thought they were unusually focused, raised their hands a lot, and asked questions all time. I was a nerd and they totally out-nerded me. Now I know why they were that way.) I think I am going to get along fine with all the people in the cohort. Hopefully no one will drop and we can stick together until graduation. We don't take any breaks between classes, except for two-weeks at Christmas.
On my three-person learning team there is another Kim. Her husband has the same name as mine, they live in the towers (on another camp), and have two kids...the same age as ours. Pretty coincidental! The point is that I have to go by my given name in order to avoid confusion. It is really hard to get used to, I feel like I am in trouble all the time. Seriously, it makes my stomach jump a little every time someone addresses me.
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Just tell them to call you BB! You can explain the back story later. :)
I know what you feel like with your minimal free time. :) I haven't had a break in forever in my classes either. But, May can't come soon enough.... I only have 2 more classes and my internship starting in January. My advise...stick with it and the time will go by relatively quickly.
:) Miss you lots.
R. wants to know if the "other" Kim & Brian also are beaver lovers, 'cause that sure would be creepy=o)!?!
I was a major procrastinator in college, but like you I made sure I did something "valuable" like cleaning, cooking, baking(don't really care for baking but I was doing it) or working out, anything but studying...
I think you should go by BB also. I understand the felling.. I hate going by my "real"name. I only get called it when I am in trouble or when I legally have to. It makes me cringe!!
Hmmm. I am much more comfortable with BB. Let me see if I can get it to stick.
K: Thanks for the advice. If I look at the timeframe, it really will be over before I know it.
P&R:Alas...they aren't. Did you see the game today? Yay Beavs!!
AJ: I know!! Right there with you!
Post a Comment