The first of the spring break catch up posts! We went down to the ice skating arena in Naha...the big city in Okinawa. It has the airport so if you come to visit us, hint hint, that is the first place you will get to see. A concrete jungle, big for Okinawa, not so big for the rest of the world.
Both Kenzie and Emily had been to this arena before with school and their babysitter. Brian had that Monday off and when we asked the girls what they wanted to do, ice skating was the unanimous choice. It was pretty quiet when we got there, but after a little while, a whole gaggle of Japanese school children arrived and it got busy. There were pink and blue helmeted kids everywhere. They were so enthusiastic, they would fall down, get right back up and do it all again. They were unpredictable in their movements and wipeouts. Trying to navigate around the ice amongst them was the cutest game of Frogger I have every played.
The girls did great! Emily got really frustrated when I tried to skate with her. She didn't give up though, I let her do her own thing and pretty soon she was off and skating. She likes to figure things out for herself..and it works! By the way, Brian was the only one of us who had never skated in his life before and he was the only one who didn't fall down.
3 comments:
Bri, I don't think that's true...I have VERY vague memories of skating with the Omans somewhere here in the basin...
Shawn, if you're reading this...do you remember that?
MOM?
Ah Ha!! Now I know where Emily inherited her tattletale-ing ability from. Ha Ha! Brian your little sister is telling on you....You're in trouble.
Bri:
This is your mom and you DID ice skate on frozen Tulelake when you were younger. It is not nice to lie...
Post a Comment