Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bummed

When we moved to Japan, we knew that we may not have that much room. We packed light. I put most of my different holiday items in storage. The one holiday I wanted my things for was Christmas. Tonight we put up our tree. After searching high and low, we discovered we only had one Rubbermaid of Christmas decorations. It was our odds and ends box. We have a tree topper and several boxes of mismatched ball ornaments (8 blue, a dozen silver, a dozen and a half red). The box with all of our hallmark ornaments, handmade things by the kids, stockings, etc is no where to be found. Brian swears he thought we consolidated everything to one box and he left the others in the storage packing pile. I swear I would have noticed we only had one. He maintains all the important items are in storage. My fear is that it was lost in the move. We won't know the answer for at least 3 more years. So, I have a sad looking fake tree in the corner of my apartment, two glass snowmen and a countdown to Christmas calendar that I got at the local bazaar. It is 68 degrees outside. I want to cry. I know it is not what is important about the season. I have my family and my health. I am thankful for that. I was just really looking forward to talking about the 13 years of ornaments as we put them on the tree. It is tradition I will have to do with out for a long time now. Will the kids even care when (IF) we get them back?? Will they be too old to remember everything. Now I am crying!!! Brian is very sweet. He has taken the girls to the BX (at 8:oo pm in the pouring rain) to see what they can find for stockings and our Charlie Brown tree on the picked over shelves. I am sure one day this will be a funny family memory. Right now it just makes me incredibly sad. I hope we never have a house fire. I will be a freaking mess.

7 comments:

ugadawgs said...

I understand what you are feeling. When Robbie went into the service, all of our stuff was in storage. It was a rush pcs to England and alot of the stuff in storage some how ended up missing. I had my favorite stuff dog as a child and some christmas ornaments from when I was little, that I wanted to eventually hand to Avery and Hunter when they had families of their own and they were gone and never seen of again. Hopefully in three years, you will have a nice suprise seeing your chistmas stuff again. I am sure the girls will remember.

Dale and Peggy said...

I was so sad when I read about your Christmas decorations. You know how much Christmas and decorating mean to me. I can assure you the girls will still be interested in Christmas and memories when you get back to the States. Kari helped decorate our tree and it was "march down memory lane" even after all these years.
Actually this Christmas "fiasco" will become one of those memories you laugh and remember in the years to come.
We will miss being with you this year.

Världen är liten… said...

I'm sorry BB, that really sucks=o(. You have a good husband, and you have a good sense of humor in refering to your tree as the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in the middle of crying. //Baby kisses from litte Nova=o)

BB said...

Aww! Thanks for cheering me up. I am feeling much happier today.

Aj said...

Oh BB, you make me want to cry. i understand how sad you must feel, Autumn and I out our tree together yesterday and it just isn;t the same without all the family stuff we have alwasy done. Autumn asked where we were going to go... it took me a minute to figure out what she was asking, but we always go to Aunt Candis house for Christmas. I just wanted to sit in the floor and cry. I feel so alone and isolated here.
Give big hugs to the girls from us!! And one for Bri too... he is a great guy!!We miss hanging out with the two of you!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your Christmas decorations. I know how important things like that are.
But, you do have the things that matter most: a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters, and a slew of online love from your friends and family. :)
We miss you, BB.

BB said...

I feel all Christmasy again :) Thanks for all the love.