Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch Changes!





Change is good right? Well, I have been working hard to change myself. It is an ongoing process always, just like it is for everyone. I made it a mission to get myself in shape for summer and life. I went on a diet called Medifast for a jump start. I was not happy with how I was looking in my mid thirties and decided to take some action. It was worth it. I knew that it was genetically possible, my mother an my sister are trim and fit....I just needed a boost. Well, over 4 months I worked hard to lose 28 pounds and make my health a priority. I am now down to what I weighed in high school! Having said that, just because I weigh what I did in high school does not mean that I look exactly the same as I did. Darn!!! Stuff just doesn't snap back like it used to...but it is an improvement. I am maintaining my new weight by eating like a diabetic. I eat 6 evenly spaced micro meals during the day. I carefully calculated my basal metabolism to be 1500 calories per day to maintain. I watch my carbs, eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruit, and stay active. Did you know that Okinawans are some of the longest living people in the world? It is because they eat well. I adopted their strategy of eating a lot of vegetables and fruit and limited my carbohydrates. When I do eat carbs, I make them count. They are whole grain and measured. I only eat 5-7 ounces of protein per day. It feels great. The best part is that is provides a great role model for my children. They are starting to enjoy nutrition. To celebrate my accomplishment, I got a haircut. I have not had short hair since I was a young child. It was fun and freeing! I feel ready to put that bikini on. Here are some pictures of the new cut. Thanks to my family for supporting me in my goals.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

you look great sweetheart! Good for you!

ugadawgs said...

You look really great. Almost like a different person. I am intrested in your diet, Can you give me an example of your day? I would love to incorperate it into mine. I have a hard time with the carbs and portion control and homemade cookies,lol. . I eat the the small meals throughout the day and limit the treats to one day a week. but still get hungry , how do you control appetite.

Kari said...

You look awesome! inspiring for this mommy on the other side of the planet!! great work.

Karee76 said...

Congrats on the new lifestyle change. You look great, keep up the good work.

Världen är liten… said...

Wow, sweetie you look awesome! You always looked awesome but you look younger. R.'s first comment was she looks like McKenzie! By the way, I can't believe you've been keeping this weight loss thing quiet! Our haircuts right now are very similar=o)

BB said...

Thanks everybody! The support is great and oh so important!

Kristie: Here is a sample of my 1500 calorie diet. I find that I curb my hunger by drinking water. I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. It really helps. If I feel hungry, I drink water first and wait 10 minutes. Often I find that "hunger" is really just thirst.

Meal One: 1/2 cup high fiber cereal, 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup skim milk
Meal Two: Medifast Shake (soy based, 90 calories)
Meal Three: 4 oz turkey on 2 cups of salad with 1/2 cup of diced cucumbers
Meal Four: Medifast bar (110 calories, soy based)
Meal Five: 5 ounces of salmon with 1 cup of steamed green beans
Meal Six: Medifast oatmeal (100 calories, soy-based)

BB said...

P: I decided to keep it quiet because I have been on a million diets and they never worked. This time I was waiting for the results. P.S. If I can look ANYTHING like you...that is success right there :)!!!

Världen är liten… said...

Awwww, you're so sweet! Miss you my friend=o)!

Aj said...

I am starting this ASAP!! You are my inspiration!!