Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blog Already Lady!





Please forgive me, it has been 21 days since my last post. Bad blogger! I have so much to blog, but when I let it build up I don't know where to start. So, I am going to quit obsessing about chronology and just post a little something. The upcoming posts may be a smidge out of order, but I won't let that hamper my progress anymore.

Now that is off my chest. Let's see what happened today... cake decoration. Always fun. It is almost Kenzie's 11th birthday. She is really excited about this birthday. She has been very diligent about checking the mail and we have had some lovely surprise packages and cards arrive in the past few weeks. She can hardly wait to open them! Thanks for putting a little extra skip in her step all of you.

She wanted to have a monkey themed birthday this year. Being overseas, we sometimes have to pinch hit and find a way to make things work because choice is somewhat limited away from America. I had a pan that I used to make a cat cake for Emily one year. I called in a favor from my art talented friend, Dionna, to help me design a monkey cake with the tools I had at hand. Here are the results:
Pic One: The mission is to make a cake in this cake pan that looks like this monkey.
Pic Two: Bake two cakes, level them, fill with cream cheese frosting, make way too much buttercream frosting because it makes the house smell great, put a light layer of frosting on the cake to crumb coat it, and color the rest with gel coloring.
Pic Three: Start piping stars and lines on the cake
Pic Four: Get carpal tunnel syndrome from piping decoration on the cake for the next 2 hours.
Pic Five: Realize that you are not fast enough to ever make a living at cake decoration, but you love the results you can do for your kids. Be really happy that your daughter is so happy with and thankful for said cake!

5 comments:

Karee76 said...

you are talented! it turned out so cute!

Unknown said...

You rock, "mom"!

Aj said...

Very cute cake!! You are such a great and dedicated mom! Happy Birthday Kenzie!

ugadawgs said...

Love the cake, you did a great job.

Kari said...

fabulous cake.
maybe it's time to learn rolled fondant, then you can cut and drape...